Christmas is my favorite time of year. I have always loved this season because there is just something magical in the air that brings me back to being a kid. It also doesn't hurt that my birthday is 3 days after Christmas, so for me it has always been a back-to-back celebration. However, as I get older I find it harder to slow down and simply enjoy the holidays. Perhaps it is all the build up to the holidays or the fact that as an adult I am now responsible for making sure everything runs smooth. Either way, it just seems hard to be present and be in the moment.
Now that the prep work is (almost) done, here are five ideas to stay present and enjoy the holiday season.
1. Lower your expectations - We live in a world where we want everything to be perfect or just right. By lowering our expectations and going into the holidays with an open mind we immediately have a better chance of enjoying the holidays.
2. Be grateful - Perhaps it is the family in the room or perhaps it is enjoying a quiet holiday by yourself. No matter how you are celebrating, take time to think about what you are grateful for.
3. Avoid the drama - Let's face it, holidays can be stressful. If you don't get along with someone or are upset about how someone is acting save it for another day. Remember this isn't just your holiday and how you act sets a tone for everyone at your holiday.
4. Be mindful - Take a moment to bring awareness to your senses. What do you hear, smell, see, feel and taste?
5. Reflect - Take time to reflect on the holiday once it is over. Whether it is in a journal or in your head, record what you want to remember and how it made you feel.
For whatever holiday you choose to celebrate this season, here's to being present at your holiday and a Happy New Year!