A panic attack is an intense period of uncontrollable anxiety that can last up to ten minutes. Symptoms include increased heart rate, shortness of breath, sweats, chest pain, and can mimic those of a heart attack. Panic attacks can be very intense and scary.
Here are 5 things you can do when experiencing a panic attack:
1. Remove yourself from the situation if possible. If you are driving pull over. If you are in a crowd step to the side.
2. Take a deep breath. Whether this is your 4 square breathing or your yoga breath it does not matter. Find one that works for you and stick with it until the feeling subsides.
3. Remind yourself that you have been here before. You have gotten through these feelings before and you will get through them again.
4. Relax. Find the places in your body that are tense and relax them.
5. Get help! Once that panic attack subsides and you are okay, find a therapist that can help you decrease or stop panic attacks.
For more information on panic attacks or panic disorder please contact me at email@example.com.